Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why am I doing this?

I originally intended to post everyday and I hope to get better about posting but this past week has been kind of crazy.  I can recap how my cleanse, slash, life change is going in two words, NOT good. The first week was a prep week where I severely limited my calories and ate mostly fruits with no salt or sugar and after 3 days I felt good but by day 6 and 7 I felt lousy.  The day after my prep week  and the day before I started my cleanse was my 6 year old daughters birthday.  At the birthday party I was very good. I ate almost nothing but fruit and vegetables and avoided the cake.  However, at the end of a long day with no sleep the night before we went out to eat with the in-laws.  I ate OK, grilled shrimp and scallops and a baked potato but needed the 2 glasses of wine I consumed.  No worries Sunday started my real cleanse anyway.
During the cleanse I can have a smoothie in the morning (for which there are 7 recipes) a big lunch which includes 4-5 ounces of low fat protein like fish or chicken and a whole bunch of raw veggies.  Dinner is anyone of 7 recipes for a chilled vegetable pureed soup. The smoothies are great, I make them with homemade almond milk and berries or homemade coconut milk and berries and veggies. Lunch is fine, it's a real meal.  The dinner is TERRIBLE!  I have tried 4 different soups and they range from not good to disgusting.
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday the cleanse was moving along fine, except for the dinners which I just gagged down as much as I could and then went to bed hungry. However, Wednesday was the big blizzard and I was stuck at home all day with Dan, Olivia, and Mother-in-law and brother-in-law.  Needless to say I really wanted to snack but I didn't until the power went out, it got cold,  and there was no way I could puree a nasty tasting soup. Then instead of just eating some raw veggies, I had a Turkey and Cheese sandwich and 3/4 of a bottle of red wine.  Today I thought OK, yesterday was an annomoly it will just be one day out of 21 that I slipped up.  I had my smoothie this morning (good), lunch was Lamb Chops and salad (great), but tonight I made Spinach and Dulse soup that was so disgusting I gagged every bite. The Dulse seaweed tasted bad and the  consistency (yuck). I had half of a bowl then threw the whole blender full down the drain and scarfed down the other half of my daughters frozen cheese pizza.  Then of course came all the self hatred, guilt, stomach ache and bloating.
So now I'm at a crossroads; two days in a row I have cheated, should I just throw in the towel and eat better or should I continue on with the official cleanse for the next 16 days.  I have got to figure something out for dinner.  I just can't eat the soup.  Will I still be giving my digestive system a break if I have a liquid breakfast , a real lunch, and a plain salad for dinner?  Maybe I should eat dry salad for breakfast, a real lunch, and a smoothie for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment